This is a challenging and exciting opportunity for an established Product Design Engineer to join an award-winning start up company in the Aberdeen area.
You will support the company in their journey to transition from proof-of-principle technology development to a structured, medium volume manufacturing environment.
The technologies and products being developed will revolutionise chemical analysis of petroleum fluids. The Product Design Engineer will join the development team with specific responsibility for mechanical and systems level design. The role covers the entire lifecycle of the product from initial concept through design to release into production and maintenance. You will play a pivotal role in defining, delivering, testing, gaining regulatory approvals for and ultimately maintaining the product. Ideally, you will have experience of working on opto-mechanical systems.
What you'll be doing:
- Full product life-cycle management of chemical analysis instrumentation including requirements capture, concept development, prototyping and design for manufacture.
- Technical and engineering analysis and design of novel concepts, components and mechanisms for mechanical, electro-mechanical and optical products.
- Exploration of product aesthetics, usability and ergonomics.
- Support of product safety testing and performance qualification to achieve agency approvals and CE/UKCA marking.
- Liaison with a broad range of component suppliers and third-party manufacturers.
- Generation and control of formal design documentation.
- Working closely with internal and external partners in respect of embedded electronics, firmware and software development to ensure product quality, timescales and cost targets are met.
- Good Degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a hands-on technical role taking products from concept to manufacture.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience at a product or project management level taking responsibility for new product development.
- Good understanding of systems development lifecycle
- Experience of capturing and documenting User Requirements and translating these into Functional Requirements.
- Experience of developing electro-mechanical Systems Architecture, ideally for a measurement instrumentation system.
- Experience of designing to relevant product directives and standards.
- Experience of using mathematical modelling and FEA tools (e.g. MATLAB, Mathcad, stress analysis, thermal modelling, fluid analysis).
- Skilled in systems and component design for manufacture using solid modelling CAD systems.
- Experienced in designing for a range of manufacture techniques including rapid prototyping, additive manufacture, plastics machining and molding, machined and sheet metal components, essential.
- Experience of aesthetic design, user interface design, human factors would be an advantage.
- Experienced with working to ISO standards for design control and documentation.
- Experience working with prototyping electronics (e.g. Arduino, STM32, etc).
- Experience of technical construction file development and supporting product approvals testing for CE marking.
- Experience of supporting transfer to manufacture.
- Understanding of patents and generating and capturing IP.
- Practical engineering skills in a workshop (e.g., use of 3D printer, laser cutter, prototyping drill/lathe/mill, hand tools).
- Microfluidics experience.