This is a challenging and exciting opportunity for an established head of technology and product development to join an award-winning start-up company in the Aberdeen area.
The immediate goal is to lead the technology and product development function of the company and transition the company to data-driven offering to optimise value return from value delivered to customers.
The technologies and products being developed will provide a platform to revolutionise the insights obtained from engine condition monitoring. This also has the potential to provide valuable insights in other industry verticals which need to be monetised. The head of technology and product development will drive, influence, implement and effectively execute management’s strategy for technology/product development and delivery to customers.
There is a small but passionate and driven team in place, however the expectation is for a highly hands-on person to lead from the front in this critical role in the company’s development. Ideally you will have experience of developing hardware and software technologies and products as well as leading a company’s strategic technology efforts.
What you'll be doing:
- Create and take ownership of new product development process and procedure.
- Effectively drive and manage the development of all current and new technologies into commercial products ensuring their delivery to manufacturing function and customers.
- Identify and engage with end-users to develop relationships through product development lifecycle.
- Liaise constantly with new and existing end-users to understand their needs, deliver technology demonstration and testing throughout product development lifecycle.
- Set and manage technology and product development budget.
- Apply for and secure grants to support technology and product development.
- Drive the development of data-based products underpinned by the company’s core technologies with a view to transitioning the company’s offering to a profitable data driven offering.
- Drive the delivery of value to end-users and quantify the value proposition to support marketing and sales functions of the business.
- Manage technical/engineering team and along with CEO be responsible for recruitment.
- Responsible for training and performance monitoring.
- Lead the aggressive creation and filing for protection of new IP assets.
- Minimum 5 years in similar or relevant comparable position.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience and in-depth knowledge of developing hardware and software products with full exposure to delivery of useable technology and products to customers.
- Experience of managing technology and product teams, setting, and tracking performance, and productivity standards.
- Demonstrable experience of sourcing and securing support funding (e.g., grants) for technology/product development.
- Demonstrable experience of sourcing new customers and developing customer relationships throughout product development lifecycle.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics discipline.
- Demonstratable knowledge of technology and product development and full understanding of product development lifecycle.
- Track record of taking new technology (hardware and software) from ideation to manufactured products.
- Track record of performance, productivity, and people management.
- Track record of developing customer relationships throughout product development cycle.
- Track record of overseeing budgeting, reporting, planning, and auditing.
- Demonstrable experience of managing multiple product development projects successfully.
- Multitasking across several concurrent projects, and customer relations.
- Cross functional problem solving and communications.
- Ability to develop, implement and review policies and procedures, securing relevant certification for product.
- Experience initiating/implementing continuous improvements.
- Proficiency in the use of standard Microsoft office packages, e.g., word, excel, PowerPoint.
- Experience in maximising value capture from value given to customers.
- Experience in optimising revenue generation from new or existing products.